July 2, 2012

Solitary

                    I.

Don't know, but I've been thinking
That maybe I would like to spend a year
In voluntary solitary detention
Somewhere far away from here.

I’d like to make a fence to block the world out
I’d like to build a wall without a window
I’d like to take this web of galvanized wires 
Linking my brain to the rest of my world
This part of me that’s not myself
This artificial stimulation
Emotional connection with omnipotent frustration
I’d like to turn the wires all to spider strands
Floating in the shining autumn air
Slice them with a sweeping paper scimitar
Or a rusty pair of nail scissors
Leave them dangling, dissolving in the dark
(When the electricity shuts off
No more static)

                    II.

Don’t know, but I’ve been thinking

That maybe I would like to go away
From all this very arbitrary tension
Spinning a million reasons I should stay.

I’d like to find a lonely little place
Away from voices, faces, shallow feelings
Lock the door and throw the key away
Out of sight, out of mind, out of reach.
I think I’d like to wipe my memory
Of all the things I wish had never happened
I’d like to recreate reality – alone.
I am three-quarters sick of shadows
Three-quarters made of mindlessness
Indecent incongruity and callousness
I am not even sure you want me
Come away. A voice stuck on replay.
I wish I could (don’t you see?)
Maybe I will (what then?)

                    III.

Don’t know, but I’ve been thinking
That maybe I would like to be quite sure
Don’t look now, but did I mention?
I am foundering in failure.

Is it weakness?
This escapist discontent,
Melancholic addiction to loneliness?

Is it selfish?
This egocentric rejection of normality,
Illogical antipathy toward all things inevitable? 
Or is it the voice on replay?
Come away
Come away
From myself
From the other side of the Void.

Try to forget those monstrous motives
(As if Omniscience could forget)
Try to work it out regardless
(As if Omnipotence could try)

Take me away for a year, I do not ask for more
Lock me up for good – but not for ever
Isn’t that the point?

                    IV. 

Don’t know, but I’ve been thinking
That maybe I would like to make a wish
And keep it like a nova in suspension
Until we learn to play this hit-and-miss.

I am ready to say goodbye, now
Deep-sinking into insignificance
Because the world is dead to me
(At least, it was supposed to be)
Because the corpse in question is the only way of waking
Because the life unlived still has to be the life unwasted
Abstractness is so hard, you know
So this is why I want to go
Bury the face I tried to kill
Find a reason to be still; and know

Run off like a vigilante, traveling higher and further
Decamp and throw my guns away, with the nerve of a deserter
Search the lonely side-streets for the records of a murder
After all this time, I want to go through with it
Aborted assassination attempt
Or was it suicide?
(Do you understand yet?
‘Cause I don’t. Not quite.)

Don’t know, but I’ve been thinking
That maybe I would like to spend some time
In voluntary solitary detention
Learning how to die. 
               

No comments:

Post a Comment